Paul Jenkins is a very inspirational speaker, even with how humble and modest he is when talking about his own achievements. He runs a deliberately small graphic design studio called Triple Double, that often teams up with other companies. Triple Double has worked with Adidas, Airbnb and so on. The studio does almost everything – photoshoots, icons, digital design, social media projects etc.
It was incredibly helpful to see Paul’s thought/work process. So here are some key points from the talk.
How to process your briefs?
- Bring your personality
- Immerse yourself (to become an expert, become an expert)
- Collaborate (there is ALWAYS a better designer, developer or client)
- Perfection doesn’t have to be boring
How to begin working? First remember that…
- Your process can and will define how the client sees you, not just the final outcome
- Your process is infinite
- People are more important than ideas – you can’t get the right idea without the right team
- Add 50% to the time you think it’s going to take you
- Develop it
- Test it
- Improve it
- Using your free resources (parks, gardens, etc) and being smart about it is very important
- If you have an idea, keep going at it and be politely persistent