Today’s CIP lecture wasn’t only about the critiques for the Duke of Uke project, but also a good talk on how to self-promo as an artist. Here are some key points from Cecilie:
- Business cards are convenient for In Real Life meetings, but other things are good as well, such as postcards featuring your work and contact details etc
- Always think about your audience – who are they?
- A good IDEA is always what you need first (using a holistic approach, several variations of the same idea and message); CONCEPTS, MESSAGES, EXCITING
- Look at what others are doing successfully, ANALYSE how and why it works
- Own identity and method of self promotion is not stagnant and forever – update occasionally
- Find what you like and are interested in – this will make you stand out from the crowd
- RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!
- Infographic CVs are amazing if you can do icons (otherwise, not so good)
- Great things don’t have to have a massive budget, but they have to be exciting
- You can be seasonal and not boring
- Use give-aways as examples of your work