Typography has a huge impact in design. If used wrongly, it can send the completely wrong message or be confusing. What type of typography can be made useful and look good in social change campaigns?
Firstly I tried to see what my campaign would look like with just regular, run of the mill fonts. It didn’t work. It looked rushed and incomplete. Upon Sarah’s advice, I looked into illustrative typography which could go a long way with my illustrative approach. I looked at different resources available in the studio and online for inspiration. Afterwards I investigated pre-existing typefaces that could possibly be suitable for this, but none tickled my fancy. So I went along to sketch out my own.
I started drawing up words in ways the could look like illustrated, but I found that to be a little bit convoluted and over-done. There have been many different things around mental illness designed and a lot of them have used the cliché approach of making the word “depression” look really sad, or the word “anxiety” all shaky. Of course, I want to make something new and interesting rather than repeat things that have been done before, so I took a different approach.
I made my own brushes by using thread wrapped around my regular brushes and cutting them to be raggedy. My regular, store-bought brushes were too nice to ruin, so home made was the option. I made them different lengths, from extremely long to very short and started drawing up letters. These own made brushes were also different from regular ones because you have to hold them more horizontally rather than vertically due to how I have made them.
After making numerous pages of these experiments, I tried some more with different (regular) brush techniques, some on textured and coloured paper. It was all very useful to decide on what sort of typography to use in the project. Some of this research typography was actually made into a fully functional typeface via the help of myscriptfont.com and used both in this project and in my FMP